Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday Musings

Another week down, and only one more week to go for my bride. In case anyone is actually reading this, Beth’s last day at ABQ Health Partners is a week from today. It’s been a long hard road, made evident by much writhing and complaining. I don’t think I have ever witnessed such a bad fit between physician and practice as I have witnessed this past year. It started with Beth’s stint in urgent care (“……you have no strength in any medical practice”) to her inundation in primary care (“….we’ll schedule you for patient visits in the morning only, but because you’re schedule is so short, we’re taking away your medical assistant”). I want to try to document her time in the McMedical industry as an example of how hard it is to fit in the corporate culture if you are a doctor that tries to provide care tailored to a patient’s best interest.

I’m getting my A-grade dry suit back from the shop hopefully this weekend. I had the overly confining turbo-hood removed and replaced with a standard neck seal and latex hood (w/purge). The shop also repaired two small holes (!!) in one of the boots and on the same leg. I wonder if I bought the suit like that or if I somehow managed to damage it when I was trying it on. I definitely need to try it on before I get it wet, as I need to trim the neck seal. Since diving is now an approved past time, I can get Beth to zip me in so I don’t rip up the zipper again. I still need to try to repair my B-grade suit, but I don’t think I’ll send it in. The B-grade has the sport air inlet valve, which is not compatible with the valve on the A-suit. Not really a problem, but I need to remember to bring both hoses with me if I decide to bring both suits on a dive trip. Woot….I can’t wait to actually go on a dive with a dry suit and not have half of the suit fill up with water. Now maybe I should start bugging Tim to finish up his cert course.

Joseph is planning on coming out the third weekend of August to go on a check out dive with me to Blue Hole. I hope to make at least one trip out there before his arrival.

It’s kind of ironic that my work site is about half a mile from Calibers shooting range, yet I’m not allowed to transport my Berretta in my car since I park it on City property. It’d be fun to go shooting one in while over lunch. Oh well.

I’m allowing myself to read my favorite right wing crackpot blog again. Once the outrage subsided with realizing that the author is truly bigoted, I am able to absorb his, and his readers, rants much more leisurely. While cruising blogs, perspective is critical to my understanding of the various topics being discussed. For example, no matter how sincere an author might be in their anti-global warming screed, the science behind global warming is sound and unanimous on the existence of human caused global climate change. Any climate denier’s attempt to portray global warming as some sort of mysterious political plot does nothing but put the rationality of the denier into question.

The same can be said with the sky-is-falling attitude about the Obama administration that so many of the climate deniers also portray. If the past eight years didn’t destroy this nation, than the appearance of a leader like Obama can only serve to provide all of us with some hope that we can move forward as a better society.


Chemical and Engineering News


,

No comments:

Post a Comment